Central Current, Inc., a nonprofit digital news organization serving Syracuse and Central New York, seeks to hire a managing editor.
The managing editor will be responsible for the overall execution of the journalistic objectives of the publication in furtherance of the purposes and mission of Central Current.
The managing editor will work collaboratively with a small but superb staff which will include an executive director, a chief of staff, an experienced full-time reporter who covers government, accountability, and equity issues, and a full-time reporter who principally covers arts and culture.
In addition to having primary responsibility for the overall editorial direction of the publication, the Managing Editor will be primarily responsible for copy editing, assignment editing and story scheduling, including staff reporter assignments, freelance reporter assignments, and freelance photographer assignments.
Consistent with ethical standards, the Managing Editor will not participate in the planning or execution of requests for funding from individuals, businesses, or governmental instrumentalities.
Compensation for the position will range from $50,000 to $70,000. Pay will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include insurance, dental and eye care, a retirement plan, professional development and generous PTO benefits.
If you’d like to apply, you can send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Managing Editor will:
- Work with other members of the staff to establish and develop story partnerships with other area nonprofit news outlets and organizations;
- Work collaboratively with other members of the team to assure appropriate mentoring and coaching of the less experienced members of the team;
- As required, provide oversight and guidance in the areas of production editing, story design in WordPress, and homepage updates;
- Have oversight responsibility with respect to matters such as the weekly newsletter, social media, the radio show of the organization;
The Managing Editor will report directly to the Board of Directors of the organization and will consult with the Board of Directors and the appropriate committees of the Board of Directors on all matters concerning the mission, purposes, policy, and strategic direction of Central Current.
Per the By-Laws of Central Current the purposes and mission of Central Current are as follows:
The Purposes are:
- To act as Central New York’s nonprofit, nonpartisan and independent newsroom with a commitment to providing in-depth coverage of important issues, people and events that shape our community;
- To operate as a digital multimedia news organization, utilizing the full capabilities of the internet to publish and distribute quality journalism and produce meaningful stories through writing, photography, videography, and other forms of media; and
- To offer programs and events to foster and facilitate audience interaction on the issues covered.
The Mission of Central Current is, through our free and accessible publication:
- To provide education of the kind that can only be delivered through the application of sound journalistic principles to fact-based news, opinion, and analysis of the issues, events, and life in Central New York and
- To contribute to an educated and well-informed electorate, and
- Thereby, to strengthen civic engagement and democratic governance.