Central Current is seeking one or two Multimedia-Engagement Reporters to contribute to arts and culture coverage, and collaborate with our team of experienced journalists.
We are thrilled to hire our next teammates for the position(s), which would be ideal for entry level candidates and journalists at the beginning of their careers looking to grow. This is an opportunity to help launch a digital publication with support from our editor-in-chief and founding staff, which includes established local journalists with over a 15 years total of covering the region, and a chief of staff who is a native of the area.
Central Current is part of an exciting nonprofit independent news movement that is transforming and uplifting local journalism across the country. We are committed to providing the people of our community with a news source, for them, for free, that isn’t beholden to traditional advertisers or clicks.
We are assembling a team of journalists who believe in the power of storytelling and solutions journalism to inspire change and transform communities. We aim to tell the complicated, nuanced history of Syracuse and Central New York, and cover how that history shapes and strengths and challenges of the region today.
We began with a soft launch in June 2022 covering Government & Politics, and Justice & Equity. We are looking to expand our coverage to include Arts & Culture. This position would support that expansion, as well as collaboration, community engagement and multimedia across our editorial staff.
About the Positions
Our Multimedia-Engagement Reporters will lead and shape the coverage of our Arts & Culture beats. We will identify more specific coverage areas continuously, based on the community’s needs, ongoing engagement with our readers as well as the strengths of our team. Beats or topics the Multimedia-Engagement Reporters might cover include: Music & Festivals, Performing Arts (Theater, Dance, Comedy, Spoken Word Poetry), Visual Arts, People, Communities, Neighborhoods, Nonprofits, Books & Writers, Community Calendar (“Around Town”), Film & TV
More importantly, each of our Multimedia-Engagement Reporters will use the tools of storytelling, social media, multimedia, solutions journalism and data reporting to tell powerful stories and engage our readers. We’ll work together to introduce our audience to people and places in our community, hold the powerful accountable and tell intimate features that help build connection and understanding.
If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you about what you’d bring to our team.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Multimedia-Engagement Reporters will spend the majority of their work time (about 60%) creating their own stories and content, whether that’s in the form of written articles or videos, photos or other pieces.
The rest of their work time (about 40%) will be collaborative, contributing multimedia for group or team projects; helping with the website, social media, newsletters; or booking guests and helping host our biweekly broadcast program/podcast Central Current Radio.
Specific tasks include:
- Contribute multiple pieces per week, balancing short-term daily stories with longer-term, in-depth coverage and bigger projects
- Find, pitch and develop your own stories and project ideas
- Work with editor and teammates to produce visuals, multimedia and social media to accompany and promote stories produced by editorial team
- Develop relationships and sources with an eye toward inclusion of under-represented perspectives and marginalized communities
- Maintain an active social media presence and help with running Central Current’s social media accounts, including using digital tools for news gathering and reporting
- Help grow and develop our newsroom. The positions include some light editing responsibilities, including web production and newsletters
- Help with strategy and development of Central Current’s start-up newsroom, including regular collaboration with the editor-in-chief on expanding Arts & Culture coverage
- Help organize and connect with community members through events, surveys and other outreach
- Work with freelance writers, photographers, videographers, graphic designers and other freelancers on projects for the Arts & Culture section
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism and experience in multimedia reporting preferred
- Must have experience using video, photo, audio to tell stories; graphics and/or data visualization experience a plus
- Examples of storytelling (writing or multimedia) that show depth in sourcing, ability to interview, edit and structure a story
- Social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter preferred; other experienced desired) and other digital skills (newsletters, content management systems, etc.)
- Experience navigating and/or writing about complex and nuanced issues
- Good writing (grammar/style/spelling) and accuracy
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment
- High journalistic and ethical standards
- Vehicle for travel/reporting is helpful if not necessary in Syracuse
- Some nights and weekends work expected
- Knowledge of Central New York an asset; interest in region a must
- Passion for arts and/or culture
- Collaborative, team-spirited
Salary & Benefits
Salaries for the positions range from $40,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience. Other benefits include a flexible sick leave policy, vacation time, health/vision and dental insurance. The position is based in Syracuse and is primarily in-person but allows for flexible scheduling and remote work.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Central Current, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, veteran status, national origin, disability, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We welcome qualified applicants of all races, ethnicities, physical abilities, genders and sexual orientations, including people who have been incarcerated. We view diversity and inclusion as central to our mission, and seek to work with journalists who are representative of the demographics of the community we aim to serve.
About the Organization
Central Current, Inc. is a startup nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization focused on delivering high-quality, independent local news. Our goal is to serve the community through thoughtful news and analysis about issues that most impact our region and are missing in local news coverage now. We place an emphasis on in-depth reporting, visual journalism, data and design.
Our offices are located on the west side of Syracuse, co-located at WCNY, the local PBS affiliate. We have achieved more than half of our ambitious fundraising goal of $1 million, with confirmed support from local philanthropists and foundations. While we build our newsroom, we are actively developing our revenue streams and business staff in order to support our mission for years to come. More information can be found online at https://centralcurrent.org/
Send a cover letter, resume, references, and links to five examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. Questions about the position can also be sent by email to Editor-in-Chief Julie McMahon at email@example.com.